University of Alberta Calendar 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Specialization in Geophysics [Science]
Continuation in the Specialization in Geophysics program requires successful completion of at least ★24 with a minimum 2.3 GPA in the previous Fall/Winter. In addition, graduation requires a minimum 2.3 GPA on the last ★90 credited to the degree.
- In addition to the specific courses listed in the program, students must take a minimum of ★3 from specialization Pool B, ★6 from specialization Pools A or B, ★15 in approved Science options and ★12 in Arts options.
- Specialization Pool A courses: ASTRO 429 ; EAS 221 , EAS 320 , EAS 323 , EAS 324 , EAS 425 ; GEOPH 332 , GEOPH 421 , GEOPH 431 , GEOPH 440 ; MIN E 323 ; PET E 365 , PET E 473, PET E 477 ; PHYS 308 , PHYS 499 . Students in Geophysics will not have the formal prerequisites for many of the EAS, MIN E, and PET E courses, and must request permission to register in those courses from the department offering the particular course. GEOPH courses are recommended.
- Specialization Pool B courses: EAS 224 , PHYS 261 , PHYS 310 (recommended), PHYS 362 , PHYS 420 , PHYS 467 , STAT 141 (or STAT 151 ),
- Not all 300-level and 400-level courses are offered every year. Students must consult the Department of Physics for approval of programs.
- Students entering this program after first year may take GEOPH 210 in lieu of GEOPH 110 . However, students will not receive credit for both GEOPH 110 and GEOPH 210 .
- Credit in SCI 100 will be considered equivalent to CHEM 101 , CHEM 102 , EAS 105 , MATH 114 , MATH 115 , PHYS 144 and PHYS 146 .
- Credit in SCI 151 will be consideredequivalent to STAT 151 and ★3 Science option.