Return to: Faculté Saint-Jean (English)
History of the Faculté
Juniorat Saint-Jean was founded in 1908, the same year as the inauguration of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences of the University of Alberta.
Though of the same age, the two institutions have evolved in very differing fashions. On November 27, 1970, the Collège became Collège Universitaire Saint-Jean, an integral part and a bilingual sector of the University of Alberta. Official Faculty status was granted in September 1977, and the name changed to Faculté Saint-Jean in May 1978.
Today, Faculté Saint-Jean is characterized by its Frenchlanguage university status. It serves students capable of pursuing university studies in French. The Faculté has taken on the mission of serving the particular needs of Francophones in western Canada.
It is the duty of every university to enrich, as much as possible, not only the intellectual but also the cultural life of its students. Therefore Faculté Saint-Jean finds itself with the special mission of contributing to the cultural enrichment of its students as well as of the whole of French life in Alberta. Through this commitment (which has taken concrete form in the development of Saint-Jean) the University hopes to foster French culture in western Canada.